Friday, August 21, 2026

The Winged Greek Chorus Laments My Coffee Habit, Again




An old stomach, one stubborn bean, and a chorus of flies singing my ears off
 
They arrived at dawn — the Winged Greek Chorus — hovering above the coffee maker like tiny airborne tragedians warming up for a matinee. At 71, I’ve grown used to being judged by insects, but this was new. They formed a semicircle in the air, wings shimmering like cheap stage lights, ready to narrate my downfall.

I reached for the mug. They hummed in unison: Ahhh, hubris.

Coffee used to be my birthright. Now it’s a cautionary tale. And the Chorus, bless their six‑legged dramatic souls, has taken it upon themselves to chronicle every relapse with the solemnity of an amphitheater performance and the sarcasm of a late‑summer lament.

The leader — a fly with the gravitas of a retired professor — stepped forward and announced, Behold, the man who swore off coffee after noon, yet stands before the bean at 10:03 a.m., pretending discipline is still within reach.

I poured the coffee anyway. The Chorus sighed like disappointed elders.

They know the chemistry better than I do. Coffee’s benefits? A narrow lane — antioxidants, a polite nod from the longevity crowd. Caffeine’s risks? A sprawling tragedy: adenosine blockade, cortisol spikes, jittery afternoons spent reconsidering every decision since the Carter administration.

Green tea doesn’t do that. Green tea is a pastoral interlude. Coffee is a full‑cast disaster with a closing monologue.

My stomach, the old union rep, files a grievance every time I forget the rule: nothing after noon. The Chorus has seen this pattern enough to choreograph it. They’ve watched me try decaf, then abandon it because it tasted like a beverage in witness protection. They’ve watched me swear off TH Double Doubles with the solemnity of a peace accord.

And they’ve watched me break every promise with the reliability of a Greek tragedy’s third act.

Today, as I sip my morning cup, the Chorus rises in a synchronized flutter, chanting: O mortal, why tempt the fates? Why summon the acid storm that awaits? Why ignore the wisdom of your own weary gut?

I try to explain the difference between coffee and caffeine, how the culture conflates the two, how green tea whispers while coffee barges in. The Chorus listens politely, then responds with a collective, unimpressed drone.

They’re not here for nuance. They’re here for spectacle.

They want the moment my stomach begins negotiating like a hostage negotiator. They want the jittery regret. They want the late‑summer lament — the sigh, the muttered oath, the vow to quit tomorrow.

Coffee didn’t betray me. Time did. Caffeine just delivered the memo with musical accompaniment.

As I rinse out the mug, the Chorus forms a tight spiral, wings beating in a minor key. Their leader lands on the counter, looks me dead in the eye, and declares: We shall return at noon, mortal. For we know where you live. And we know the bean.

Then they lift off, drifting toward the window like a tiny, winged tragedy troupe heading to their next performance.

They know I won’t make it to noon.
 
Written by CoPilot as directed by Mack McColl for McColl Magazine Public Safety

Plot One

Fly on the Wall Commentaries

IMMIGRANT EXTORTION SCHEMES

Atrocious Killers

Commerce News

Popular Posts